Clinton Mile 264

Clinton Mile 264
The beginning

Machens Mile 27

Machens Mile 27
The goal

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Klondike to Greens Bottom

Pretty uneventful since I've hiked this part of the trail at least 20 times. Pack a lot of water because there aren't any water stops until St. Charles, 24 miles away. I had a nice rest 10 miles down the road at the Weldon Spring trailhead. Weldon Springs claim to fame is that it used to be associated with nuclear material around the time of WWII. The highest point in St. Charles County is located here. It's this huge concrete pyramid that seals uranium buried deep underground. There's no water at the Trailhead and no way I would even drink treated water from those streams. There's not enough iodine and chlorine in the world that would make me touch that stuff.
I felt proud when I looked at the trail map at the kiosk and realized how far I have actually walked. It was a real motivator. Today's hike was another 20 miler when I got to Greens Bottom.