Clinton Mile 264

Clinton Mile 264
The beginning

Machens Mile 27

Machens Mile 27
The goal

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hartsburg

Let's just call this the Bataan death march. The "plan" was to make this a short, easy leg of 9.2 miles and relax next to the river. I finally arrived at the campground only to find it covered with silt from the flood. Silt means wet, mucky, and mosquitos. I asked the manager if there were any dry campsites, but there weren’t. I just knew I couldn't stay there. I asked if I could at least get a burger from the camp store. He informed me that he only sold food on the weekend. He was a real nice guy and dug in the freezer for a brat and cooked that up. The manager told me how the river had risen up the 9-foot embankment and dumped 4 inches of water into the store! No biggie, I'll move on to Wilton, only another 5 miles. It could still be a borderline easy day. I arrived at Wilton to find the campground overgrown in waist high grass, looked like tick heaven!!. I walked up the hill to the office and found the owners sitting on the porch swilling beer at 2 in the afternoon. The owners showed zero interest in renting a campsite and had to unlock the door to sell me a small bottle of Gatorade for $1.50. Not to be blasphemes but Jesus Christ. On to Hartsburg, another 4 mile away. It was hot and humid along that stretch of the trail. The sun was relentless on the open stretches and I was pretty much out of water when I arrived. I was emotionally and physically drained when I got there due to the sun, heat, and humidity. Jill called ahead and made a reservation at the Hartsburg Inn for me. The women said she would give me a room for $40.00 since it was empty and knew I would be tired. I showed up and obviously looked like hell from the look on her face. She showed me to the room and asked for the $40.00. I dug out every penny I had only to find I had $38.00! I about "pooped" my pants knowing the next campsite was another 3 miles down the trail at the Hartsburg Conservation area. I was totally exhausted and just couldn't walk another step. She said she'd settle for $30.00 and I could just mail her the balance. As God as my witness I thought I was going to cry.
I felt a lot better after a long cool shower, 3 liters of water, and 3 packs of Ramen noodles. I remember lying on the couch in my room for a minute and woke myself up by my snoring 2 hours later. The Inn is a beautiful, clean, converted house that reminded me of the old boarding houses you see in westerns. The owner Cath is a nice, thoughtful, awesome lady. Jill called the Inn that night and Cath brought a phone downstairs to me. I plan on staying there again when I go back to hiking the trail in short sections again. This is easily a 5 star place with fridge, couch, TV, microwave, coffee maker, and all the coffee, tea, and oatmeal you could consume in the room. Each fall Hartsburg has a pumpkin festival, I'll be there. On to Jefferson City where I'll meet Nate and Jill for a resupply drop and another night under a roof.