Clinton Mile 264

Clinton Mile 264
The beginning

Machens Mile 27

Machens Mile 27
The goal

Friday, June 22, 2007

Boonville

I have to laugh about Boonville. It was all uphill and never ending. I really started to question whether moving on past Pilot Grove was such a good decision. I finally got my long awaited descending hill. Lots of friendly people, but man was that a long walk. Crossing over I-70 was a motivator. I've seen the overpass from the highway quite a few times, it was a great experience to be on the bridge watching traffic go by. I stopped at the trailhead and took a long break. The old station here is really neat. I was surprised when the railroad crossing bell started pinging at the top of the hour. I decided to move on to New Franklin since I came this far. The Boonville Bridge was a sight to see. I never thought there could be a railroad bridege that raised and lowered to facilitate barge traffic. I heard they want to tear the bridge down. I hope they keep it, too much unusual history. I 'll be sure and share the pictures and description of the bridge with my history students. On to New Franklin.